Wednesday 26 October 2011

Cosplay part 2

In my last post (I made it a few seconds ago, but having two posts makes it look like I'm doing more for the blog. I'm not, it's the same content, but I'm sort of carrying the whole ruddy team. I checked, and it's six months since turnip or angel updated.

Cosplay trickery!!!

So, a costume is something that isn't you and isn't ordinary. Often a part of popular culture, but there's a lot of popular culture so you can slip behind the lines.

First of all, you can take the HIPSTER route.
Popular culture is so enormous that nobody can know it all. Just dress as anything snappy and seemingly fictitious. Rip a t-shirt and draw on blood-splatters. Carry a fake sword and fake specs while hiding your face in the shade of a low hanging hat. No top, but a pair of gloves. Everyone will assume you to be cosplaying something obscure and just assume they don't get the reference. If someone decides they just must know and asks you, just say some generic title (I'll come up with a blog for tat later, but stuff like 'Darker Chair') and claim it to be new and upstarting.

Alternatively, there's the EXCUSE route.
From the man who brought you such funny but utterly bullsh*t excuses like "My homework from last week is apparently a cannibal", we bring you "I'm wearing a Ninja costume. I'm not dressed as a ninja, my costume's just really stealthy." Nobody will care, and they may think less of you, but your friends will stop pestering you. Well done "Undercover ____"

Here's one I'd wanna do. It's the CREATOR's way out.
If I become famous enough, but not known for my face, I can make a simple to make and relatively awesome character outfit. Then simply dress as that. Or, conversely, dress as something cool and slightly abnormal, and then write it into the show and re-wear your outfit. It's basically cheating in real life, but you can always say he's an actual character.

No comments:

Post a Comment