Wednesday 26 October 2011

Cosplay

Yes. You read that right. Of course, since you are either Angel or someone that accidentally landed on this blog through the most messed up google search ever, you aren't that surprised.

It's basically the action of dressing up as a thing. What kind of thing isn't in question, but as long as it's a thing, you're cosplaying. Halloween is basically a popular day of cosplay. I mean, you see pirates, Stormtroopers, the doctor, something steampunk for some reason, a Pokemon or Pokemon anime character, Chell, Miku Hatsune, Mario, an alien and a box (if it's not a companion cube or solid snake, I'm confused too. And then you actually enter the convention.

Why do they do this? You mean, aside from the fact that it's fun to act bizarre and that your conversations with people suddenly diverge from basic weather and damn buses being late to something related to your character (except from all those times when people just don't talk to you at all) and the fact everyone starts to think you awesome? I dunno, some fetish, maybe...

I've cosplayed once (I was a Sableye and nobody knew or cared) and it was fun. Plus I now have a purple hoodie with a green circle in the middle which adds character. I took off the lopsided ears to make it suitable for standard society. People still ask about the circle, but I just handwave it.

The whole experience rocks! I was executed by order of the Empire! I have the picture to prove it! I once saw Matt Smith's Doctor in a swordfight! Emmett Brown took my photo in front of the Tardis! You haven't lived until you've walked past a massive off-worlder from the planet Lala Croissant and said a nonchalant "sup"!

Admittedly, gathering a costume is tricky. I can think of some ways in which you can trick people into believing you're actually in costume, but it's easier to just say "CBA with a costume."

No comments:

Post a Comment