Wednesday 1 June 2011

Annual

Well, something has forced itself into my eyesight: birthdays. Due to the complete lack of content I've had recently, I've decided to just talk incessently about this. Also, have you noticed that talking like Ben 'Yahtzee' Croshaw from Zero Punctuation makes you far more judgmental?

So, the concept of a birthday is that after a circle around the sun since the day you came out of another creature and were considered 'born', you deserve a whole day. How many of these days you have determines your age, and you will be categorized ruthlessly depending on this.

This does, at time, feel fairly redundant. You get just as much special treatment for being born a near exact amount of 365 days as anyone else. Frankly, if chavs get a day of celebration, then I, on account of not being a chav, should be able to walk into the local chip shop every Friday and declare myself king.

Also, there's gifts. Nobody complains to getting gifts but why would they? They're getting free stuff for being alive. Having to purchase gifts for others can get tedious and confusing. "I know he wants this MacGuffin, but what if someone else gets him one? He wouldn't want two! I'll just get him a Herpyderp." Then, someone ends up getting twenty Herpyderps and no MacGuffin!

Bonus points go to whoever can work out where I got those references.

I actually have a friend who- I apparently have named on here but hell if i can be bothered to go through my archive, so I'll reuse the Nameless title.

My friend Nameless actually hates the process so much that he prefers his mates to not get him stuff so he doesn't have the obligation to go through it either. While his facebook comments are easily refutable, and my third blog was based off his comment, I do like the logic to his strategy.

Also, people feel that it's good do feel older, which sounds ridiculous to me. I'm not going to feel any older the second between the dates then I will in the second before the transition. The second I age, I will be a second older. I will be a year older than I was a year ago, but enough time has passed that it's not a big deal to me.

So many people could state the 'there's no real age you become mature' argument, but refusing content due to unoriginality hasn't worked out fantastically. My family really represents this. My dad plays Cityville, my Mum is so geeky it's genetic, my sister considers 10 years older than her to be old, my brother is less mature then me, and I'm the youngest by far!

I do like the simple method to categorize people. You can act mature in some methods and not others, so using tea and scone etiquette to verify age for a movie wouldn't be a good form of category. With age ratings, you can at least use probability to see how mature they could turn out.

The third point that it should feel good is that you're older. Older. Closer to death. Now, I may be an optimist to the extent that I could write a story about a man with 6 months to live and give it a happy ending, but there's little I can to with 'closer to death'.

Then there's the festivity you must throw yearly to celebrate the flimsy reasons for joy. I really don't like planning. So why on earth, in a day dedicated to me, do I have to entertain people? I like the idea of surprise parties, cause a nice, fun celebration that I don't have to go through paperwork for sounds absolutely glee-worthy.

Facebook doesn't make me feel better about this unnamed day, as it simply tells people that there's a day celebrating me going on, and everyone who's shaken my hand has to put a bland comment stating they wish my day is a joyous one. No variation in size, shape or colour. It really irritates me.

Every time it reminds me, I either ignore it or post something completely different, like 'Happy slow decaying!' or 'Don't you owe me that dvd?' Call me hipster if you want, at least I have the intelligence to say something more substantial and personal than two words.

Notice I haven't commented on the cake? I don't really have a bad thing to say about it, as long as it's a good mix of tasty, geeky and a monument to me.

On an unrelated note, it's my birthday tomorrow. Still no idea why this blog seemed relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment