Monday 29 August 2011

Speculative fiction

Love sure is complex, isn't it? I could just fill the whole blog with my thoughts on the matter. However, I've made two blog posts about romance this month, and a whole month of romance blogs isn't good for my idea of this blog being diverse, so I'll talk about Sci-Fi.

Sci-fi: The genre that encapsulates other worlds with robots and the future. You often find some lackey at a big corporation discovering a dark secret about the big boss guy, and gathers a small rag tag team to go on big- wait. Sci-fi's more of a setting than a genre. Just allows you to explain some of the plot-points using superior technology.

Well... That went silly. Might as well discuss fantasy.

Fantasy, a frequent quasi-medieval genre that brings powerful wizards and swords and elves and the like. You've often got a peasant discovering a king is using dark magics, and so he gathers a small and plucky ragtag team to go on a big... Huh... So, replace the technology with magic and nothing's different...

Well, I didn't call it Sci-fi or fantasy, did I? It's all speculative fiction. I got the term from tvtropes, and like it. The only difference is that one explains all the important stuff with future technology or other worlds, while the other explains things with magic or... other worlds...

Ok... This is a complex posting. Basically, the setting often has technology/magic created by a scientist/sorcerer, with the situation being watched on a monitor/in a pensive by a corrupt bureaucrat/off-worlder/king/dark lord from a spacecraft/office/castle. If it's a war based film, expect a super soldier/warrior. If it's a noble quest, expect a lowly worker/peasant.

It doesn't matter what the plot is, cause one is interchangeable for the other. All that changes is how you explain things. You just have one army of orcs and one army of very possibly identical aliens with an identical way of thinking. You have one teleport spell and one teleporter. You've got one archer and one sniper. Not much else changes, really.

I thought this would be longer. Well, shows what I get for thinking, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment